(NEW YORK) — President Donald Trump’s partial Europe travel ban begins at 11:59 p.m. Friday as the number of confirmed novel coronavirus cases and deaths continue to rise in the United States.
There are at least 1,663 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. and 40 coronavirus-related deaths, according to data compiled by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University. Globally, there are at least 128,343 cases with 4,720 deaths for the virus that the World Health Organization declared a “pandemic” earlier this week.
Late Thursday night, Alaska announced its first confirmed case of COVID-19, which means there are only four states (Alabama, Idaho, Montana and West Virginia) that don’t have any confirmed coronavirus cases.
Here’s the latest on the developing situation. All times Eastern:
5:42 a.m. Charles Barkley in self-quarantine, awaiting COVID-19 test results
NBA Hall of Famer and TNT broadcaster Charles Barkley announced Thursday night that he is self-quarantining and is awaiting results from a coronavirus test.
Barkley, in a phone interview with his co-hosts of NBA on TNT, said he felt sick after returning to Atlanta from a trip in New York City.
“I talked to a couple people at Turner and a couple doctors and they told me to self-quarantine for the next 48 hours. I started yesterday, this is my second day,” Barkley said during the interview.
“I haven’t been feeling great and they didn’t want me to take any chances … I went and took the coronavirus test late this afternoon, I have not gotten the results back,” he said. “So I’m just kinda in limbo right now. I’m really hoping it was just a bug.”
Earlier this week, the NBA announced it’s suspending the 2019-2020 season due to the coronavirus. NBA commissioner Adam Silver released a statement Thursday night saying play will be suspended for at least 30 days, but that the league intends to resume play this season when it’s safe.
3:18 a.m. Oregon, Michigan close all schools
The states of Oregon and Michigan announced they are closing all K-12 schools in an attempt to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
“This is a necessary step to protect our kids, our families, and our overall public health,” Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said in a statement Thursday night. “I am working with partners across state government to ensure educators, parents, and students have the support they need during this time, and to ensure our children who rely on school for meals have access to food. I know this will be a tough time, but we’re doing this to keep the most people we can safe.”
There are currently at least 12 presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Michigan, the state said.
Oregon also announced school closures Thursday, which will be shut down through the end of March.
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown said she understands the burden closing schools puts on families and students, but the move was necessary for public safety.
“This is a trying time for our community and I am reluctant to increase the burden on families who are already struggling to adapt to and stay healthy during this crisis,” Brown said in a statement. “However, we are left with little choice in light of school districts’ staff capacity and operational concerns.”
In Oregon, there are 24 confirmed cases of COVID-19.
There are zero coronavirus-related deaths in Oregon and Michigan.
Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.