MACOMB, IL – The Western Illinois University Department of Theatre and Dance will present "Underground Cabaret" at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 31 and Saturday, Feb. 1 in the Simpkins Hall Theatre.
The performance, directed by Theatre and Dance Instructor Lara Petrin, features WIU musical theatre and theatre majors. "Underground Cabaret" is a performance to honor the career of Professor Emeritus Maughan McMurdie. As a former operatic baritone and bass, McMurdie taught at Western, and performed throughout the region from 1969 until his retirement in 1992. He passed away in 2007.
"Underground Cabaret is a fun evening with something for everyone: song, dance, fights scenes, comedy and much more," said Petrin. "You won't be disappointed."
The scene/song list planned for the performance includes:
• "A Musical" from "Something Rotten" performed by the 476 class," – choreographed by Petrin
• "Old Red Hills of Home" from "Parade" – by Eric Clemons, a senior musical theatre major from Sellersburg, IN
• A scene from "Henry VI, Part I," by William Shakespeare – Rose Blume, a senior musical theatre major from Peoria, IL; Warren Freeland, a senior musical theatre major from Mount Carmel, IL, and ensemble
• "Stupid With Love" from "Mean Girls The Musical" – Kayla Breitbarth, a junior musical theatre major from Brimfield, IL
• "Mama I'm a Big Girl Now" from "Hairspray The Musical" – Hannah Bullock, a junior musical theatre major from Indianapolis, IN; Brooke Kassal, a sophomore musical theatre major from Lombard, IL; and Jamie Rediger, a sophomore musical theatre major from Henry, IL
• Beyoncé medley – Kaela Dawn Massey, a senior musical theatre major from Winfield, KS; Ondreya Seahorn, a senior musical theatre major from Winfield, KS; Matt Porter, a senior music education major from Winfield, KS; and Jack Warring, a senior musical theatre major from Glenpool, OK
• "Shine Like The Sun" from "9 to 5 The Musical" – Amanda Buch, a senior recreation, park and tourism administration major from Springfield, IL; Megan Graal, a junior musical theatre major from West Chicago, IL; Jessica Patrick, a senior musical theatre major from Evergreen Park, IL; and ensemble
• Title song from "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" – Performed by the 276 class, Choreographed by Blume
• "A Little Priest" from "Sweeney Todd" – Associate Professor Lysa Fox and Assistant Professor Ricardo Supúlveda
• "Times are Hard for Dreamers" from "Amélie" – Jamie Rediger, a sophomore musical theatre major from Henry, IL; and Colin Stansky, a senior musical theatre major from Florence, AL (piano)
• "Revolting Children" from "Matilda The Musical" – performed by the 176 class, choreographed by Fox
• "Dear Theodosia" from "Hamilton" – Freeland and Danny Hollander, a senior musical theatre major from Palatine, IL
• "Let The Sun Shine In" from "Hair The Musical" – Full company, choreographed by Fox
Tickets are available at the door and are $5 for general admission. WIU students will be admitted free with valid student identification.
For more information about the WIU Department of Theatre and Dance, visit wiu.edu/theatre.